I've moved around a bit...always with the understanding that I should "bloom where I'm planted"...{Where GOD plants me!}...God has been gracious to my family over the years and we are most thankful for the latest {and dare I say LAST} move - to the South. These sweet people talk a little different, eat some good food and are the kindest people we've met during our little tour of the U.S.A. :) So what's a Cali girl to do in the South? Well, this blog is all about that! Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES

Several weeks ago we invited a family over for dinner.  It was a family that we have said hello to on Sunday's and waived to as we scurry by them in the preschool hallway at church.  We had been wanting to get to know them...and so when our schedule's finally aligned, we set a date!  Of course this also gave me the opportunity to flip through my *Favorite* cookbook and think about what recipes I could make.  I settled on 2 recipes.  Bought all of the ingredients.  Unloaded Groceries.  Then proceeded with the days plans:  church event, soccer game, another trip to the grocery store, middle child losing a tooth, last minute cleaning...you know the routine!  Finally, it was time to prepare dinner.

My Dinner Menu was:

*PW Homemade Artichoke Dip (for the Appetizer)
*PW Lasagna
*Salad
*Green Beans
*Loaf of crusy Italian Bread

A simple menu for sure ~ but a Yummy one!

Well, I proceeded to open my cookbook and prep the Lasagna.  I feel the need to confess that I have never even purchased Lasagna noodles before!  So, this once shy-cook is gaining in culinary confidence once again.  Steps 1-5 = No problem!    Then Step 6.  In this ever so important step, I am instructed to let the mixture SIMMER for 45 minutes!  Yikes!  At this point I am so thankful that I made the last-minute decision to not make the Artichoke dip so I was actually about 45 minutes ahead of schedule.  LESSON LEARNED:  Read the entire recipe before starting!   {Which I always tell my Sous-Chef Karli to do}.  After nearly an hour of simmering, my kitchen smelled like it belonged in Italy.  :)  It was then time to layer the Lasagna & Bake.   45 minutes later we had a Masterpiece!

To quote The Pioneer Woman,
"If it weren't for my beautiful bronze skin or calf roping skills,
 he would've married me for my lasagna. 
 In other words, he married me for my Lasagna!" 

Life is full of choices!  The Pre-"Pioneer Woman Cookbook" Kelli would've served Option A for Dinner . 
Nothing wrong with it {& I will use it for a crazy soccer night this fall, I'm sure}.

OPTION A


But can I just tell you how much fun it was to serve Option B to my family and guests!  I love creating food and watching people enjoy it as we sit around the family table.  As I've written before, it's not just about the ingredients...it's about the experience! 

OPTION B


5 comments:

  1. Yum!! I love the Pioneer Woman, I really want the cookbook. Not just for the recipes, put the pictures and graphics are fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have PW Mexican Lasagna in the oven now. If you do make THAT recipe, you need a REALLY deep pan! I ran out of room for all of the layers. I had to improvise. ;)

    Your lasagna looks great! It's my favorite meal to prepare for company!

    I'm really loving your blog, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! Ashley bought me the book for my birthday so that is the one I wanted to make. I 'm so glad I'm coming to visit when we are going to have so much great food! Yeah! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli,
    I love this!!! It makes me miss you, but I love reading your cooking adventures here! Keep it up!! LOVE the pictures!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love every moment of the adventure! I hated cooking until I "retired" from Corporate Am to start our family...Now I love creating in the kitchen! Love the blog, keep the posts coming.
    Piper

    ReplyDelete