I've moved around a bit...always with the understanding that I should "bloom where I'm planted"...{Where GOD plants me!}...God has been gracious to my family over the years and we are most thankful for the latest {and dare I say LAST} move - to the South. These sweet people talk a little different, eat some good food and are the kindest people we've met during our little tour of the U.S.A. :) So what's a Cali girl to do in the South? Well, this blog is all about that! Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I think I Can...I think I Can....

Well, 2 out of 3 is good, right?  I am not a brave cook.  I'll try new recipes out on my little family... but when guests are involved, I only make tried and true recipes (or get a Costco item and make it "mine" by putting it in a cute dish)!  BUT...I'm trying to grow in my culinary skills and braveness...  SO, on Labor Day we invited guests over for dinner.  I decided to make 3 (yikes!) new recipes. 
                      * Rosemary Skirt Steak with a Feta spread
                      *Creamy Rosemary Potatoes
                      *Flat Apple Pie

It proved to be a busy day of prepping, cooking, tossing in the trash and finally getting it right (2/3 at least!).  The Steak turned out beautifully.  Very flavorful and the Feta on top was an added treat.  The Potatoes were my favorite ~ and a big hit!  The smell they created while baking for an hour was so yummy and the taste didn't dissapoint at all.  I will make this side dish many more times to come.  {Picture & Recipe at bottom of Post}.  The Flat Apple Pie didn't work so well!  I tried 2x, but the crust wasn't great...I will be practicing my Pie Crust skills this week and attempt the Apple Pie again soon.  Thankfully, we were so full from dinner that the adults didn't want dessert anyway!  :)  The kids made S'mores by the bonfire so they were fine, too. 

Did I mention who our "guests" were?  Before you think I'm oh-so-brave, I should admit that our guests were my sweet In-Laws who would've been gracious even if my dishes were 0 for 3. 

Here is the Creamy Rosemary Potatoes Recipe:

4 Tablespoons butter
1 cup half and half
1 cup heavy cream
5-6 medium russet potatoes, sliced thin
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/ to 1 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons minced rosemary leaves
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons minced chives

1.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Rub the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish with softened butter.  Combine the half and half and the cream in a large measuring cup. 
2.  Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the potatoes very thinly.
3.  Place the potatoes in a large bowl.  Drizzle with half of the cream/half and half mixture.  Set aside.
4.  In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter.  Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
5.  Cut the bar of cream cheese in half and add the halves to the skillet, stirring constantly. 
6.  Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and combined, about 3 minutes. 
7.  Pour in the remaining cream/half and half mixture and stir to combine.
8.  Add salt and pepper and stir.  Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary.
9.  Add the rosemary and green onions and stir to combine.
10. Finally, add 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan and stir to combine.
11. Pour the cream-soaked-potatoes into the baking dish.
12. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the top.
13. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup grated paremesan generously over the top and bake for 1 hour, until it gets brown and bubbly.
14. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with chives.  Serve!

1 comment:

  1. You had pie, too? The potatoes were amazing and now that I see the recipe, it's no wonder!

    ReplyDelete