I've moved around a bit...always with the understanding that I should "bloom where I'm planted"...{Where GOD plants me!}...God has been gracious to my family over the years and we are most thankful for the latest {and dare I say LAST} move - to the South. These sweet people talk a little different, eat some good food and are the kindest people we've met during our little tour of the U.S.A. :) So what's a Cali girl to do in the South? Well, this blog is all about that! Thanks for reading!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Made from Scratch...With Love

We've had an eventful Christmas in Tennessee!  We knew that having 18 people in town would be fun and many memories would be made.  Unfortunately, our main memory will be that 17/18 of us got the flu.  Some would say that our holiday was ruined...but it wasn't.  Once again {as so often in life} we had choose whether to laugh or cry.  There was some crying involved...but we chose to laugh more than cry and just continue counting the # of people who shared in this bonding time.  As a result of the illness, food was not a highlight of the last 2 weeks -- Saltine Crackers & Club Soda were the only items on the menu.  BUT, with tummies feeling good again, it was time to open up my favorite cookbook.

With 6 kids sleeping here again I needed something new for breakfast.  They've had it all - Pancakes, Cereal, Smoothies, Eggs, etc.   So I opened up my PW cookbook and knew exactly where to turn.  **Homemade Cinnamon Rolls**  I have never made them from scratch.  In fact, I've never done more than open up my wallet, pay for them, bring them home & heat them up.  Gone are those days of eating store bought Cinnamon Rolls.  The PW ones are easy to make and yield 40-50 rolls in one batch.  Perfect for freezing or giving away to friends.

I began my rolls last night.  I made the dough and stored it in the refrigerator while I got my beauty sleep --  OK, not beauty sleep, more like Survival Sleep to keep up with the kids and dogs!  :)  I woke up at 7:00 and began the filling, rolling, slicing and baking.  Easy Easy Easy!  While the rolls baked, I prepared the Icing and poured it on when they were just out of the oven.  As with any recipe, I follow it precisely the first time then plan to make adjustments the next time.  That is the case with this one.  The rolls were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...and the Icing was yummy!  In the future, however, I would add a tad less coffee and a bit more Maple to the Icing.  Just a small change.

So there you have it --  6 Kids + 2 Adults + a Gazillion Cinnamon Rolls = A great start to the last day of Christmas Break.



 








1 comment: